Sheila Martindale’s varied career has included that of editor, broadcast journalist, theatre columnist and occasional teacher. She was born and educated in England, moving to Montreal in 1966, where she lived through the October Crisis of 1970, and then relocated to Ontario. After raising her family there, she continued her westward trek, stopping for one winter in Alberta before making the final push to the west coast. She now makes her home in Victoria, where she is very active on the literary and artistic scene.
Contact Sheila at email@example.com
The League of Canadian Poets
The Canadian Authors’ Association
The Canadian Theatre Critics Association
The Victoria Writers’ Society
Past member of The Writers’ Union of Canada
- Cover Story articles published in The London Free Press and Scene Magazine
- Op-Ed articles published in The Globe & Mail, The London Free Press, The Ottawa Citizen, The Hamilton Spectator, The Halifax Herald and some US papers.
- Magazine stories, including some feature length pieces.
- Co-wrote the catalogue for the Grand Theatre (London) Annual Auction, 1993.
- Produced the quarterly newsletter for Christ Church, Port Stanley.
- Poems appearing in periodicals, anthologies and literary magazines since 1973.
- Wrote text for the United Church Bulletins, Canada-wide.
- Poem included in Inside Poetry, a grade 12 textbook, 2002.
- Wrote regularly for the Lake Erie Beacon, Arts & Culture section, 2003 – 2008
- Theatre Critic for Scene, London’s entertainment magazine, 1989 – 2008
- Book reviewer for various publications – all genres of writing reviewed.
- Theatre and art reviews published in a number of papers and magazines.
- Director of Creative Communications, an editorial and manuscript evaluation service until 2006
- Stewards Of Creation – commissioned by the Anglican Diocese of Huron and staged at various locations in South Western Ontario in 1990 and 1991.
- Inauspicious Events – produced at Christ Church Cathedral, Victoria, December 2011 and December 2011 and 2012
Although Sheila’s main focus is on writing and its related activities, she is also an active volunteer in various organizations.
Christ Church Cathedral:
Coordinator of the Fellowship and Kitchen Ministry (expert coffee and tea maker, chef, and event organizer)
Active in the Shawl Ministry
Can be found midweek welcoming visitors to this historic and magnificent building James Bay New Horizons:
Creative Writing mentor
Can be found selling merchandise or handing out programs at many concerts
Look for her in the Volunteer tent at Splash!- the annual fundraiser at the Inner Harbour
Office help as needed
Box office clerk for shows at the Metro Studio
Box office clerk for the annual Fringe Festival
Box office clerk for UNO FEST